John Hunter Children’s Hospital – Inpatient Eating Disorder Program
Service Type Inpatient program Population Adolescents (12-18 years) Services Offered
- A collaboration between Kaleidoscope and Mental Health, combining expertise of medical and mental health clinicians
- Medical stabilisation and/or weight restoration
Referral Information Admission is coordinated via the Emergency Department or through consultation with the on call paediatrician. Contact Information If You Require Urgent Medical Advice Regarding Children or Adolescents call:
• John Hunter Hospital, on-call paediatrician on 4921 3000
• For the Tamworth area contact the paediatric clinic on 6767 8740 to discuss admission or the emergency department on 6767 7435 for situations requiring immediate attention
• For other areas, contact the accident and emergency department
Adult Inpatient Admissions:
HNE LHD hospitals admit adults with eating disorders for short term medical stabilisation only. If you require urgent medical advice regarding an adult: Please call the Gastroenterologist at John Hunter Hospital via the main switch on 4921 3000.
John Hunter Children’s Hospital – Eating Disorder Paediatric Outpatient Clinic
Service Type Paediatric outpatient service for patients with an eating disorder Population Children and Adolescents Services Offered Paediatric outpatient service for patients with an eating disorder, provides review and consultation Referral Information
- Referrals accepted from general practitioners or paediatrician. Fax referral letter to (02) 4922-3904.
- Simultaneous referral to the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service is recommended
- There is a wait period for this service. Phone on call paediatrician (02) 4921-3000 to request more urgent review where indicated
Fax referral letter to (02) 4922-3904.
Contact Information If You Require Urgent Medical Advice Regarding Children or Adolescents call:
- John Hunter Hospital, on-call paediatrician on 4921 3000
Specialist Eating Disorder Day Program (Newcastle)
Service Type Day Program Population Adults recovering from an eating disorder Services Offered
- Treatment program 4 days/wk
- Incorporates skill development, group therapy, education, and meal support.
- Staff include occupational therapists, a psychologist and a dietitian.
- Referrals from a health professional are accepted by fax (02) 4924-6801 or email . HNELHD-EDDayProg@hnehealth.nsw.gov.au
- Patients must be medically stable.
- A GP shared care arrangement and local therapist is required as part of eligibility criteria
- The program is located in Newcastle, though accepts referrals from out of area if patients are able to travel.
Contact Information 72 Watt Street, Newcastle NSW
Centre for Psychotherapy - Eating Disorder Service
Service Type Outpatient Population Adults 18 years and over Services Offered
- Individual therapy or group programs
- Multidisciplinary team including: Clinical psychologists, dietitians , occupational therapist, psychiatrist and social workers
- General practitioners remain medically responsible for the patient through shared care arrangements
- To refer, complete the Eating Disorders Referral Form and fax to (02) 4924 6801. Contact Intake Officer for copy of the referral form.
- GP/Health Professional: written referral using the Service’s referral form.
Phone: 02 4924 6820
Fax: 02 4924 6801
Monday - Friday
Contact Information 72 Watt Street Newcastle NSW 2300Phone: 02 4924 6820Fax: 02 4924 6801
Mental Health Services
Population Children and Adolescents Mental Health Services, Adult Mental Health Service Services Offered Specialist mental health follow up for patients with acute mental health issues or who have chronic and complex conditions Contact Information Ph: 1800 011 511Fax: (02) 6767 8739
Tamworth Based Hospital Nutrition and Dietetics Department
Service Type Outpatient dietetic counselling Referral Information
- A referral letter from the general practitioner is required
Phone Administration on (02) 6767 8440, or fax to (02) 6766 3463
Contact Information Nutrition and Dietetics DepartmentTamworth Base Hospital
Locked Bag 9783
Tamworth, NSW, 2340
If You Require Urgent Medical Advice Regarding Children or Adolescents call:
- The paediatric clinic on 6767 8740 to discuss admission or the emergency department on 6767 7435 for situations requiring immediate attention